The Journey of Grace



This painting has been such an up and down journey for me. There have been times in this process where it has been fun, beautiful, and also the moments where I felt that it was so desperately wrong that I even cut the canvas in half ... painting and ALL!!!! In the end I have learned so much about patience, struggle, excitement, and life! I know that I have said it before, but I am going to have to say it again... this painting, like all other art (I feel) is never truly finished to the degree in which I would like it, or in which I see it in my head... and so, the great and only thing to do is to abandon each piece of art/painting/drawing/etc. at a stage where you are happy with it. This point happened for me, and so I decided to stop fiddeling and to step back. So, it is done. Scroll down to see the journey in progress... I wish I would have gotten a picture of the 2 halfs of the canvas... I cut the first portrait in half across the face, and started over again. Enjoy!



Some people said the eye on the dark side was "dead" so somehow I was suppose to bring it to life. That is the difficulty with painting from foto's.




I wish it were the custom to hang portraits upsidedown... 

and so with a few artistic libterties!!!! VIOLA!!!

That bonnet was so troublesome...


again...the upsidedown thing


At this stage I was just impatient and mentally d o n e . . . 



Painting in light makes a HUGE difference...

It looked better to me, I suppose, any other way but up...

I was kinda happy with the painting at odd and peculiar angles...



This stage wasn't bad...

That eye will always be my favorite part, I think

I liked the feel of how the face actually felt like there was some heavyness of chub in the cheeks...






Forver through the whole process the bonnet on the left side looked so odd... cameras can do wacky things with light and distortion of space. 



Looks more like a person!

Portrait attempt #2 . . .

Started over with a BETTER drawing on paper to get the general shape/light/shadows

And... this is the stage at which I got super frustrated and just cut the canvas in two...






Kept on losing the feel of the mouth, I guess.


There's potential...


The trick, just like with life, is to not get discouraged!

It's amazing how creepy a painting can look in the process...


Painting has started... even though I did not like the under drawing, or any drawings I had done of the baby...

This was the beautiful under layer of painting on the canvas...the colors were SO gorgeous!


Comments